§7.1

a blog by josef johann

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Neuroscience denialism

If you polled people on what anti-scientific belief they thought was most widespread, I think most would reply creationism, followed by global warming skepticism and vaccine skepticism. I hesitate to include astrology because I don't know to what extent horoscope readers believe what they're reading.

I think, however, that the most widespread anti-scientific belief is not any of the above. Instead, I think it might be what I can best describe as neuroscience denialism. It consists in denying that there is, or ever can be, a neuroscience that accounts for various subjective human experiences, such as pains, pleasures, musical experiences, loves, lusts. It denies that there can be a common neurological organization shared across people, across humanity that accounts for these things, in virtue of which we can come to objective knowledge about them.

It's motivated, I think, by people's fear that they lose power over their individuality if they concede such things to science. In my experience atheists are no less likely to make such claims than theists.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Admiring the time and effort you put into your website and in depth information you provide.
It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same unwanted rehashed material.
Wonderful read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm including
your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Feel free to visit my web blog :: cheap desks

Post a Comment